Don’t forget to return your Estimate of Giving card so that we can better plan for 2022! Click here to download a PDF version of the card. You can save it to your computer and then print it.
October 19, 2021
2021 Finance Campaign
Friends in Christ,
It’s been a very long twenty months since out church and personal lives were turned upside down by COVID-19. Having no opportunity for in-person worship in our building for fifteen months was isolating and not the way we were used to worshiping and sharing the message of Christ.
UUMC found a way to continue worship and the vital committees virtually so the work of the church could continue. The Missions Committee has continued to meet via Zoom and focus on community, national and international needs. The Committee has continued to bring those needs to the congregation. Because of your generosity, funding has been provided for multiple areas of need when we were unable to assist in-person. The important mission ministries you have supported during this time include:
- Haitian Assets for Peace International (HAPI) after a fire in the Merlet Center damaged the building, destroyed computers and burned cash needed for operation of the Felesane Clinic.
- Haiti earthquake and hurricane emergency response through UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief).
- “Feed the Fight” fund to provide meals to staff at Sparrow and McLaren hospitals during periods of high COVID-19 admissions. This mission has continued with monthly donations to the Sparrow Foundation “Care for the Caregiver” fund.
- Provision of relief funds for COVID-19 related needs in India and other international regions during severe outbreaks.
- Monetary support and donation of relief items to the Midwest Mission Distribution Center along with supporting a team that worked at MMDC for a week in August 2021.
- The Legal Aide Clinic for refugees through St. Vincent Catholic Charities.
- Volunteers from UUMC continued to assist the Lansing Area Food Bank with the monthly distribution of food to East Lansing/Okemos/Haslett/Lansing residents at University Lutheran Church (also known as Food Movers).
- The UUMC Methodist Men partnered with the Michigan Conference United Methodist Men to provide no cost home repairs for a low-income senior in cooperation with Rebuilding Together Tri-County in September 2021.
The circumstances around COVID-19 altered how we have been able to support those in need. I believe we have kept the mission and ministry of Christ alive and it will continue because of the commitment of our congregation. Because you and I care about and support UUMC, we will be able to continue vital mission work, doing what matters while “Keeping the Faith”.
Yours in Christ,
At University United Methodist Church, we affirm that as disciples of Jesus Christ, we are an open and inclusive congregation and welcome all persons into full participation regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic situation, age, ability, education, background and whether single or partnered.